As Pure Gold | David, Local CR Leader

Have you ever felt like God was nowhere to be found? 

Have you ever just feel like you’re “hanging on for dear life” – hoping that some ray of hope shows up soon from the Father?  
 

In the Old Testament book of Job, Job himself expressed those feelings.  

A friend shared these verses with me this week.  He said they were an anchor for him in a 3-year struggle with depression.  

 

Job 23:1-3 & 8-10 (NLT) says:

Then Job spoke again:

“My complaint today is still a bitter one,
    and I try hard not to groan aloud.
If only I knew where to find God,
    I would go to his court…

I go east, but he is not there.
    I go west, but I cannot find him.
I do not see him in the north, for he is hidden.
    I look to the south, but he is concealed.

But he knows where I am going.
    And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold.”

 

What was the hope that he hung on to? The last eight words.  But, don’t jump there. Start at the beginning of this passage and feel the pain, the frustration, the lostness.  Then, believe the hope of the last verse. 

We have to believe the truth beyond our feelings.  Feelings are so unpredictable.  

In contrast, the truth of our Father, who He is, His heart for us – these things have to be the sure footing of our journey – even when it feels like everything’s falling apart.  

That seems to be where Job had landed in his struggle.

 

Your recovery may feel a lot like Job’s today.  Let’s simply rest assured together in this moment that:

  1. He knows where I am going. (He sees and knows what I don’t, and He knows how to work all things out for my good and His glory.)
  2. I will come out as pure gold. (It takes heat to get pure gold. Maybe you’re “feeling the heat” right now of the testing. We have to let it do its work.)


Popular posts from this blog

Out of the Darkness....Into the Light! By Patrick McGinnis

Advanced Recovery : A Prelude To Relapse | By Durrell J. - Celebrate Recovery at University Carillon

We're All In | By Pastor Tullian Tchividjian