Vital Signs | By Patrick McGinnis

Another week, another hospitalization. One of my organs decided it wanted to kill me this past week, which resulted in emergency surgery. Praise Jesus, all went well and I am home and convalescing. 

Speaking of praising Jesus, I had the opportunity to witness Him at work directly and through folks in the medical community. The afternoon I was to be released is one such example. It was busy, a lot of Doctors/Nurses/Techs coming and going to poke and to prod. In order to be in as best shape possible to be released, I was also spending a lot of time pushing my IV Pole all around the hospital. I came back to my room pretty exhausted, and was greeted there by a nurse who needed to take my vitals. I sat down, huffing and puffing, and he proceeded to do his deal; temperature, pulse, and setting me up with the blood pressure cuff. Inflate. 30 seconds later, the verdict. 

Way too high, 167 over 109, because I had been strenuously (for me on that day) walking the hospital floor. "Let's try it again." Immediately re-inflate. Except THIS time I employed my meditation breathing mantra. "More of you, Jesus; less of me." Over and over again, mixed with "Jesus, please pervade my body with your calm that surpasses all understanding." 30 seconds later, the display read 111 over 93. I told him that the only thing I had done was breath in Jesus, and ask Him for his peace. The nurse conceded that it's not a normal occurrence for one's blood pressure to give such radically different results in such a short span of time. But Jesus....he cares so much about our vitals, and He is the most vital force of all!

Then Jesus said to him, "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe." (John 4:48)

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the Darkness....Into the Light! By Patrick McGinnis

Advanced Recovery : A Prelude To Relapse | By Durrell J. - Celebrate Recovery at University Carillon

We're All In | By Pastor Tullian Tchividjian