One Day At A Time - By Andy Petrie, CR Landing Director

In the past weeks I've felt God reminding me of the importance of living one day at a time. From tough family situations, to learning how to parent two small kids, to just navigating a broken world, I've been reminded of so many things that I cannot control. Early in my recovery, I lived with the false belief that I could manipulate and control my life - from my addictions, to relationships, to the way people viewed me. And you know what? It never quite worked. But as I started working this process, I came to discover that the only real thing I have control over is simply taking the next right step, or learning to live "one day at a time, one moment at a time". In fact, Jesus tells us is how God intends us to live our lives in Matthew 6:34 NIV:

Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I heard my sponsor say once that the only place we experience God is right here in the present moment. When we live in the shame of our past or caught up in the anxiety of the future, we miss out on what God is doing right here, right now.  As we live as broken people in a broken world, there will inevitably be things that come up that are out of our control. Instead of worrying about how to control the uncontrollable, why don't we ask ourselves the question, "God, how can I love and live for you, today, in this moment?" Life gets a whole lot simpler when we live one day at a time.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the Darkness....Into the Light! By Patrick McGinnis

Advanced Recovery : A Prelude To Relapse | By Durrell J. - Celebrate Recovery at University Carillon

We're All In | By Pastor Tullian Tchividjian